This savory, spicy dish is a treat for anyone’s tastebuds.
- 1 (20 oz) package of three cheese tortellini
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 1/4 cups of milk (any type, except skim)
- 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of petite diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 1/2 cups of chopped fresh spinach
- 3 tablespoons of chopped fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons of chopped fresh oregano (or 1/2 teaspoons of dry oregano)
- Salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
- 6 tablespoons of finely shredded parmesan (plus extra for serving)
- Red pepper flakes for spice (optional)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Cook the tortellini according to the directions on the pasta package.
Meanwhile, in a large and deep skillet or saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté for 30 seconds, then add the flour and onion powder and cook, stirring constantly for one minute.
While whisking, slowly pour in the milk and whipping cream, whisk until smooth.
Stir the mixture constantly until the mixture begins to simmer, then add tomatoes, spinach, basil and oregano. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Keep cooking for several more minutes until the sauce has thickened and the spinach has wilted. Add in parmesan cheese and stir until it’s melted.
Remove the sauce from the heat and toss in the drained tortellini. At this time, add in red pepper flakes and slowly stir for 30 seconds.
When you’re ready to serve put the pasta and sauce mixture on a plate and sprinkle parmesan cheese on top.
This meal yields 5- 1 cup servings.